Ph.D. in Software, Systems and Computing


We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all the information listed here, as some of it depends on other institutions that may unilaterally alter their conditions, rates, etc. Students are advised to visit the links on this page and listed in the Contact section.

How are PhD programmes at the UPM UPM structured?

To get a PhD, students have to complete a PhD thesis. In the early years of a PhD programme students receive research training through Training Activities.

Students are required to submit a Research Plan every year. If this plan is considered to be satisfactory, students can continue with the development of their PhD thesis under the supervision at all times of a faculty member associated with the PhD programme.

What steps do I have to take to be admitted as a UPM postgraduate student?

The steps are as follows:

  1. Appy for the Master or PhD programme you would like to take.
  2. 2. Wait for a letter (and e-mail) of admission to the programme.
  3. Enroll online or at your school.

What are the entry and admission requirements for accredited PhD programmes?

Please check the Entry and Admission sections.

Can I apply by e-mail or fax?

Application by e-mail or fax is not allowed. You must apply online, using the form that is available on the UPM website.

How much does it cost to complete the PhD programme?

Public prices for university postgraduate programmes (fees) are set every year by Madrid’s Regional Government within the limits established by the Higher Education Coordination Council. Apart from the cost of living in Madrid, PhD fees for the 2017/18 academic year are as follows:

Members of general-category large families are entitled to a 50% reduction in the above rates. Members of special-category large families are exempt from the payment of tuition fees.

How to get to the Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos

The Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos is situated on the outskirts of Madrid in the district of Boadilla del Monte and, specifically, at the Montegancedo Campus. The transport options for reaching the Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos are private car (from M-40), taxi, regional bus and light railway (linked with the Metro (underground) network).

For instructions about how to reach the Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos, see How to get here.

Where will I live?

If you are unable to arrange your accommodation before you arrive at Madrid, a reasonable strategy is to first book provisional accommodation and then look for a longer-term option when you arrive. This page contains links with plenty of information on addresses and prices. The UPM Vice Rector’s Office for Students also offers information on different student accommodation options. Some general advice follows.

September is not usually a good time to find accommodation (especially permanent) because many workers and students descend on Madrid after the summer holidays. On the other hand, you may find that in August, although officially open for business as usual, some offices are closed and there is not much on offer. We suggest that, whenever possible, you look for accommodation before (or during) the month of July.

Provisional accommodation

Long-term accommodation

The usual options are:

Shared flat
Many students prefer this option and usually share a flat with other Spanish or international students. This is the cheapest option. The price ranges from 200 to 400 euros per month. You can find these flats:
  • Through adverts at the Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos (rooms for rent and wanted)
  • Through adverts at the Ciudad Universitaria
  • Through housing classifieds in periodicals
  • Through online housing classifieds
  • Through specialized agencies
Landladies or private owners
Private persons or families that offer accommodation, including the monthly payment of a number of services, like cleaning, laundry, meals, etc., negotiated with the guest.
Private accommodation agencies
A convenient, albeit not cheap (because they charge a fee for their services), way of finding accommodation in Madrid for weeks or months is to engage the services of an accommodation agency.
University Halls of Residence (Colegios Mayores)
There are many possible choices in the Ciudad Universitaria area, but applications should be submitted in advance: the closing date for applications usually ends in late May. They are quite expensive (as of 550 euros per month), but they do provide board and services like cleaning, laundry, library, sports facilities, cultural and recreational activities in return. Madrid's Regional Government offers a Hall of Residence search service. Some University Halls of Residence are:

How much does it cost to live in Madrid?

Although not as expensive as other European capitals, Madrid is not a cheap city to live in. For example, the cost of renting a one-bedroom flat starts at around 400 euros per month. You can find rooms in shared flats as of 200 euros per month. All these prices depend, of course, on the area and do not include the proportional cost of water, electricity, phone, communal charges, etc.

Note for international students: the Spanish Government will not issue a student's visa required for residence in Spain unless you have a means of guaranteeing your livelihood. An amount of money held in a bank account or a grant award is acceptable proof for this purpose. We suggest that you contact your nearest embassy or consulate in due time.

How can I improve my Spanish or my English?

Students applying for this postgraduate programme should have a good knowledge of Spanish and English. The UPM UPM offers different options for studying languages through the Language Program for the Internationalization. For this purpose, several Spanish language and culture courses, as well as courses in other languages, such as English, German, Chinese, etc., are scheduled throughout the year. Also, members of the university community have discounted access to Multilingua Universia.which offers language learning courses in over 20 languages at several levels. In any case, there are many language schools with a wide variety of prices and schedules in Madrid.

How can I certify to having an English language proficiency level of B2 or equivalent?

To be eligible to take the master’s degree, students must have a specified level of English proficiency to assure that they will be able to follow the lectures. The Council of Europe has established a number of language proficiency levels through the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment (CEFR). A person with a B2 level of language proficiency is considered to have the following knowledge and skills:

  • Can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialization.
  • Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party.
  • Can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.

To certify that they have an English proficiency level of B2, students should submit an official certificate specifying that they have attained the above level or any other equivalent examination certificate, such as:

Will I have WiFi access to the Internet at the UPM?

UPM offers access via the eduroam initiative. Anyone with access to this network can log on from anywhere at the UPM (after installing the appropriate settings). UPM students also have access to this network (instructions for use are given on the UPM website Wireless Network section).

Apart from grants from official institutions, what other funding options are there?

Some private institutions (banks, savings banks, large corporations, etc.) award student grants. However, there is usually a lot of competition, and they generally target a specific field of study. Even so, it is an option well worth considering.

Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos professors can, at their discretion, offer internships and research grants generally associated with research and development projects. In this case, the work and research to be carried out are completely dictated by the topic of the project covered by the grant. On the other hand, they offer an unbeatable opportunity for joining the research and education system.

Finally, Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos departments sometimes offer student grants for working part-time on tasks like systems administration. Although in short supply, this is yet another option.

Where can I get information on scholarships and grants?

Ministry of Education and Science

Universidad Politécnica de Madrid

Information on other sources of grants

Where can I get other useful information?

Ministry of Education and Science

Madrid Regional Government

Universidad Politécnica de Madrid

Information on other sources of grants

Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos

Information on accommodation

European Higher Education Area

Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation

I would like to study at the Facultad de Informática at the UPM. Where I can find information?

The Facultad de Informática was renamed Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos in 2013. However, the only thing that has changed is its name: the degree programmes, faculty, location..., everything except the name, are the same as before.

Do you have any more questions?

We can help you out at: